Just to give you a little backdrop on the importance of Instagram TV, I want to share the following info:
IGTV is Instagram’s way of disrupting the traditional TV experience and updating it for a new mobile experience, and a game changer for YouTube.
Just like turning on the TV, IGTV starts playing as soon as you open the app. Unlike on Instagram, here videos aren’t limited to one minute, each video you upload can be up to an hour long.
For now, Instagram presents videos for you based on your interests and its algorithm update, You always can discover more by swiping up. You can also like, comment and send videos to friends through Instagram Direct.
To find new IGTV accounts to follow, users can swipe up and switch between the accounts they follow or accounts they don’t follow that are popular.
They can resume watching videos they’d started previously or select from content that IGTV’s algorithm thinks they’ll like, based on past viewing habits. Users will also be able to access another user’s IGTV content from a designated spot underneath their Instagram bio.
Some IGTV basics:
- Videos are full screen and vertical
- Videos can be anywhere from 15 seconds long, to 60 minutes – the full 60 minutes is currently only available to verified accounts, all other users have a limit of 10 minutes.
- Users can watch IGTV content from within the Instagram app, or they can download the dedicated IGTV app
- Videos start to play automatically upon opening the IGTV app
- Users can like or comment on videos, or send videos to friends via DM
So, have you created your IGTV Channel? (If “NO”, then have them follow the set-up steps below. If YES, then go to STEP 2).
- Set-Up Step 1- Download the IGTV app from the App Store or from Google Play.
- Sign up to the IGTV app (if you’re already logged in to your native Instagram account it will automatically use your profile).
- Click on the settings gear icon in the right-hand corner, and then click “create channel”.
- And voila! You’re in. Quick and easy
How to upload an IGTV video
If you want to upload a video to your IGTV you have to follow seven simply steps.
- Step 1: Go to your channel by clicking on your avatar from the main page.
- Step 2: Click the + icon in the right-hand corner to add a new video on IGTV.
- Step 3: Select a vertical video from your camera roll
- Step 4: Write a title and add a short description. You should add here any relevant keywords for your brand to make it easier for people to find your videos on IGTV.
Don’t forget to add a link and a branded hashtag within the description or title.
- Step 5: Add a cover photo. You can upload your custom cover or choose it from your video. The cover photo is what you will show up on your channel page in the IGTV categories, so make it pretty.
- Step 6: Click the post button.
- Step 7: Don’t forget about the IGTV Analytics. You will want to monitor your post so you’ll be able to reply to the comments you will receive.
Click on “View Insights” and you’ll be able to see your views, likes, and comments.
✌️ Congratulations, you’re first IGTV video is on!
What the IGTV metrics mean:
- Views – the number of times that people watched at least three seconds of your video.
- Avg. percentage watched – the percentage of your video that people watched. This is calculated as the percentage of your video watched as an average of all plays.
Always correlate the IGTV metrics with your Instagram insights overall.
Recommended size and ratio for the IGTV
Instagram published a guide on how to create content for the IGTV which includes: what format you should have, helpful tools and how to upload videos. Some important aspects:
- File size: Up to 3.6GB
- File type: MP4
- Video size: 9:16
- Video thumbnail/cover image: .JPG
How to edit IGTV Videos
Most artists don’t understand how to edit a video properly for IGTV. However, we got you covered and smothered baby! For Apple device users you can download the Video Edit App for IGTV and I’ll text you the link now to your phone: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/video-resizer-for-igtv-frame/id1379007244?mt=8
For Android Users you can utilize the KAPWING desktop application or app. I’m texting you the link now: https://www.kapwing.com/resize-video
This application enables you to edit videos for multiple platforms including IGTV, Facebook, Snapchat, & more. This application is simple to use and very effective. You simply copy & paste the URL Link or upload the video from your phone to the application and select your settings for IGTV.
Right now IGTV has 3 main categories:
- For you – a collection of videos that Instagram things you will like, made up from people you follow.
- Following – a collection of videos from all the people on Instagram that you already follow.
- Popular – features all the trending videos on IGTV, most likely ranked by popularity.
If someone follows you on IGTV, they’ll be following your regular Instagram account too
There’s also a small hidden search bar that lets you search for videos, but Instagram is trying to curate the best videos for you within your social network and without you having to search for the next video to watch regularly.
Make sure you title your videos properly, record in the right atmosphere which gives you the best visual outcome. Make sure you think about the content of your message before you post it. Make sure everything is spelled correctly and you have the right hashtags inside your message. Always use your artist name as a hashtag, #radiopushers, #betonyourself, #resultsandnohype, #striveforgreatness, #motivateyourself, #wehustledifferent, #dreamhustlewin
After you create and post the message, make sure you @ people. Example, @radiopushers c/o my latest visual & let me know what you think
@radiopusherstv c/o my latest visual fam & let me know if it’s hot or not
When you @ people it will show up in their “IG” notifications so they will see it for sure! Which means you will get a quicker response. Every time you @ someone it counts as a comment. When they comment back it will double your comment count. So, @ at least 50 people per post. Easy way to get 100 comments. When people see high engagement, they are more interested in seeing what all the BUZZ is about.
The differences between IGTV and Instagram Stories are:
- The IG stories go away after 24h, while the IGTV stays as long as you want. Yes, you have the option to delete it by clicking those three dots.
- IGTV has to have the same brand consistency, and it has to match with your business purpose.
- IGTV requires to use video in vertical format. Traditional videos are landscape, but IGTV requires entirely vertical videos.
- You can upload videos up to one hour.
- IGTV attracts vloggers and video content creators, and Instagram tries to compete with Youtube here.
- IG is looking for non-edited videos, but you need to make sure what your audience wants.
- IGTV has the option to add a link, and it doesn’t matter the followers count.
- Once you launch your IGTV channel, you can cross-promote it on other channels: Facebook, Twitter, email, Instagram Stories, etc.
- Instagram is looking for evergreen content, specific content created only for this channel.
Do I need to use both, Instagram Stories and IGTV?
Yes, yes. Within the Instagram Stories, you have the option to promote your IGTV by adding the link when designing the story. Instagram Stories continues the campaign message and redirect your audience to your IGTV.